Benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling
Coconut oil is a staple within the wellness community and morning oil pulling has become one of the latest age-old practices to resurface. Although it’s difficult to introduce a new morning regimen, after learning about the benefits that oil pulling offers, there was no question it would be the next step on our wellness path.
What is coconut oil pulling?
The name oil "pulling" can be misleading as the process involves "swishing" coconut oil in your mouth for a period of time. It's basically like using a mouthwash. Oil pulling is one of the best things that you can do to clean teeth and gums and improve oral health. The oil is said to cut through plaque and remove toxins without harming the teeth or gums.
It has been shown to cure tooth decay, help with bad breath, whiten teeth naturally, prevent cavities, strengthen your jaw and improve your gums. Good dental hygiene is correlated to good health so oil pulling also offers a wide range of benefits for the rest of your body including helping prevent heart disease, reducing inflammation, boosting your immune system, helping balance hormones, killing candida, balancing blood sugar, burning fat and improving digestion.
Oil pulling is also great for your appearance and has been shown to reduce cellulite, decrease wrinkles, moisturize skin, and help with acne. Oil pulling is one of those holistic health tricks that you can’t believe you’ve never tried because it’s such a game changer and is so easy to execute.
How to oil pull:
- Oil pull before you drink anything, first thing in the morning.
- Gently swish 1 – 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your mouth and between your teeth for 10-20 minutes. Try not to swallow.
- Spit out the oil in the trash (coconut oil solidifies at a certain temperature and may clog pipes) and immediately rinse your mouth out with warm water (use salt water for added antimicrobial properties).
- Brush you teeth afterward to remove any remaining bacteria.
Want to step up the healing properties of your pulling?
Add some essential oils!
- For everyday use: add 2 drops of orange, lemon or peppermint with 2 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- When battling an infection or sickness: Change it up a bit and mix clove oil or cinnamon oil as a homeopathic remedy.
If you don't want to spend 10 - 20 minutes everyday swishing oil, try doing it every other day. If you have tried coconut oil pulling, feel free to comment below about your experience!